Thursday, May 12

New High

Maddy, Rach and Dad's scores from yesterday
Maddy took his game to new heights yesterday during practice, scoring a 190 game. His new personal best featured a 5-bagger, or for those of you who are unfamiliar with bowling jargon, 5 strikes in a row.

He was giddy from excitement to beat both mom and dad in the same game.

Unfortunately for him though, his string of luck didn't carry over to his other games. Maddy and his mom had a friendly wager going and while Maddy was up 1-zip after the first game, mommy came back and beat him in the final 2 games.

He did not handle the disappointment of losing well. He got progressively worse after each poor shot and it snowballed from there. Mom's gloating didn't help matters much either!

I told my 8 year old boy that we learn more about ourselves in defeat and that we should be gracious in defeat as well as in victory. I don't know how much he will take from practice yesterday but I think losing to mommy will only serve to make him more determined the next time.

In the meantime, I hope to teach him that the way he plays the game and conducts himself is more important than the results. 

2 comments:

  1. Ok sounds like I was a bully lol He doesn't like it when I let him win so I just played my usual game lol he doesn't take losing well like me, especially if we lose to Daddy haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mean mommy! lol But good way to learn how to lose gracefully...I think I'm still trying to learn that lesson! ha,ha
    190 is an awesome score. Thanks for the explanation about the 'baggers' I had no idea what that was!!

    ReplyDelete

You're awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment.